Thursday 21 August 2008

iPhone 3G One Month On

Folks, it's true. I fell out of love with my Jesus phone, and now I have to live with it for another 17 months of gloriously overpriced O2 contract.

Why? Well, for one, I got to play with the Blackberry Bold, and that phone is just, well, nicer.

The BBB has better speakers, a brighter screen, and the battery life, oh the battery life. Not to mention it's not locked into Job's crAppStore which is full of barely useful apps. Oh, and the BBB's UI is instant, not sluggish!

On top of that, I did a quick inventory of the apps I've downloaded, and realized that I could very easily live without them--all of them. The only truly useful apps on the phone, are the ones that Jobs put there in the first place.

And then there's the reception and stability, which seem to be getting worse every time I install a new round of 'bug fixes'. Now Safari crashes constantly, and I can barely surf the web since installing the 2.0.2 update, what with the phone dancing from one type of signal to another.

This phone was awesome, I thought, and then reality hit. I knew I was caught up in the hype. I knew I shouldn't have fallen for it, but I did. At least I'm not alone

My prediction: The iPhone 3G's big breakout move is going to fizzle by Christmas. Reasons: horrible reception and related press, seriously missing features, and the useless apps won't help anything.

Sorry Steve.

No comments: