Saturday 1 March 2008

Femtocells are girly crap

I hear so much about femtocells as the new cool technology. But I get stuck on the part where some dimwit actually installs one in their house.

Here’s how I see the conversation between the mobile provider and their customer going:

‘Hello, my phone has crap service.’
‘Do you have a broadband line?’
‘Yes, from ThrottleNet? Why? I get crap service from them too.’
‘I’ll send you this device, you have to plug it into the back of your internet router. That will improve your call quality.’
‘What’s a router?’
‘That thing your broadband comes through.’
‘Oh, the one with the USB thing that comes out?’
‘Yes. Does it also have an Ethernet port?’
‘What’s that?’

Do you see where I’m going with this?

The mobile providers are smokin’ the ganja, quite simply. They gotta give something for the inconvenience which is more than a ‘better’ connection and complex setup. Hopefully they have some bright ideas. I suspect the bright idea is to bundle broadband with the service, and then put the femtocell in the router. I’d like to see how that goes. Scale anyone?

No comments: