Thursday 27 December 2007

Wake up Commercial Software, Open Source is kicking your ass

Here's why I don't like to buy commercial software. Maybe you have a different view.

I'm currently in the position to purchase substantial amounts of software for my clients. And I feel weird. I sit and listen to sales people tell me why their commercial version of the software is better than the free and open source version I'm considering instead, and they are struggling to convince me.
Here are some of the reasons they give me:
  1. Support: Them The thesis here is that commercial software comes with support, so when something goes wrong, I can call the vendor, and they will efficiently speed a fix to me. Me What I seem to get from support is the right to call someone up during business hours and have them confirm to me that it doesn't work. I find that the leading open source applications tend to have forums full of extensive debugging information--much better than the commercial products.
  2. Certification: Them I get the comfort of knowing that my configuration is certified and that it will work. Me In my experience, this 'guarantee' is revoked as and when it suits a vendor.
  3. Features: Them I'm always told the commercial version has features that the free one doesn't. Me It's funny, but all too often, the commercial features aren't needed by me, so I'm not sure why I should pay for them.
  4. You are cheap: Them You can't expect to get everything for nothing. Me Well, yes, actually. If what I need is available as open source, that will do nicely, thank you.
And then there's my fundamental irritations with the products I get from commercial software vendors:
  1. License keys: With commercial applications come license keys. I've had far too many software failures due to the vendor giving me bad license keys, or failing to inform me about upcoming expirations. This runs the gamut from Windows on a desktop all the way up to high availability software for mega servers. License keys are the bane of my existence. Isn't this one of the major reasons corporations aren't upgrading to Vista? Because it's just too hard to manage the damn keys and activations?
  2. Fees every time I add to the configuration: Commercial software vendors like to think that they are tailoring their solution to my needs. What this means for me, is that every time I add a user, add a CPU or change a server, I actually need to add to my license armada and pay money. What a serious management pain in the ass. Can't I just get one license that covers my whole organization, and then adjust it once a year?
  3. One product is actually many products: In addition to the previous problem, it turns out that most 'enterprise' (read expensive) products come with about forty different SKUs. In order to use the product, you need a 'base module', and a 'management module' and a set of 'user license packs' and a 'network access module', and so on. The product is useless without all the modules, but the sales person invariably forgets an expensive module during the quoting, and you only find out half-way through the implementation that more money will be required.
  4. Every conceivable use is a different license: If you use it on one OS, and then switch to a new OS, that is a new license. Switch to new hardware: more money please. Add a networked drive: cha-ching. My perpetual licenses are always locked to hardware that will be obsolete in a year, so I'm constantly throwing one away and purchasing a new one, for the same product!
So in short: For so many reasons, I find myself having to be seriously convinced to go the commercial software route. It just makes my job of managing it, far to complicated, and my job is complicated enough.

My advice to the commercial software companies out there: wake up and smell your user's needs. Your licensing methods are offensive, increase your user's costs immensely, and actually reduce the value your product adds. And remember, if you don't want to change, there's plenty of open source software out there for your users to turn to.

PS: For some reason, so many integrators out there only know commercial software. They will relentlessly steer you that way, even when you tell them clearly you want an open source solution. I think there are two reasons: 1. Kickbacks, commissions, and lead generation. 2. CYA: Cover Your Ass. At least there is a vendor to point the finger at if something goes wrong. Neither of these reasons are compelling to me however.

Update: Someone who totally agrees with me (humorous): http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/18/bofh_2008_episode_14/

No comments: