Friday 16 January 2009

iPhone3G Six Months On

I've written about my experiences with the iPhone a few times already, here and here. It's been an interesting ride.

I would say that with the release of firmware 2.2, the serious stability, crashing and battery issues are solved. Though I've done 2 full factory restores to get there.

The phone now performs fairly well. And I'm back to liking it, which was in doubt for a while. In fact, when I went to the US in November I had to use my old HTC S620 (no unlocked iPhone), and the battery life on that phone was terrible in comparison. And the iPhone wifi worked very well during my stay there, which somewhat made up for the unlocking issue.

Another big improvement for me, has been the release of the Calling Card application on the App Store. This means that I can make international calls without paying through the nose.

But there are still things that annoy. For one, the lack of cut and paste, which is matched with the fact that you can't forward SMSes. This means someone texts me directions to a restaurant, and then I have to write them down on a piece of paper and type them back in to the SMS that I send on. Annoying!

The GPS is great, but why can't I get turn by turn directions?

And the integration with Exchange works, but I can't send meeting requests.

And the last, most annoying bug is the fact that the iPod plays the same song every time when I put it in shuffle mode. Can't that be randomized?

No comments: