Thursday 12 February 2009

Windows 7 Epson Stylus DX9400F over a network with print server setup

This is a quick guide to helping others use Epson printers, or at least the Epson Stylus DX9400F model with the bundled network print server in Windows 7.

I was able to install all the software and drivers perfectly onto Windows 7. The problems arose when I wanted to install the EpsonNet Print software (which allows printing over a network instead of via USB cable -- assuming you have the EpsonNet print server hardware). The software install consistently crashed with the following message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Runtime Error! Program: E:\COMMON\ENEZINST\EasyInstall.exe. No go.

I searched and searched, but I couldn't find an updated version of Windows 7 EpsonNet Print. However, it turns out you can get all the features of the printer without it.

Printer
I simply went to Windows Menu >> Devices and Printers >> Add a printer, and selected 'Network' printer, and it quickly found the printer, let me name it, and I was done.

Scanner
Equally, I wanted to use the scanner. Well, Windows Menu >> All Programs >> Epson Scan >> Epson Scan Settings let me choose a local or network scanner. I chose network, and again, it quickly found the scanner. I tested and said OK, and that was working as well.

Card Reader
The card reader showed up in my networks listing, so no nead to do anything there.

And that's it. It worked.

Caveat: The printer comes with a ton of other software, and I haven't tested it all, but those were the main features I needed over the network on Windows 7, so now I'm extremely happy.

Hope this helps you.

No comments: